Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Hey, Hey , You, You, I Don't Like Your Girlfriend"

As of this moment I am listening to Avril Lavigne's most recent CD, The Best Damn Thing. The first track, "Girlfriend," drove me to write this little commentary.

Aside from the decidedly "Mickey" beat, girls are doing themselves no favors by taking "Girlfriend" as an anthem. The piece reinforces the teen stereotype adults carry in their hip pockets. In "Girlfriend," Lavigne neatly rolls up the vapid, clumsily scheming tart-vamp, an 18th century French aristocratette in-training. This is the self-centered, under-educated, aggressively apathetic teen bemoaned by many of my colleagues. They see most of the student body interested only in, and controlled by, the melodrama du jour.

I don't believe teenage girls are that simple-minded but, as Ms. Lavigne so artfully intones in the title track:" . . . you're not . . . gonna get any better/You won't . . . you won't get rid of me never/Like it or not even though she's a lot like me."

Perhaps all the little Avril's out there just take a little more growing up and some dedicated, educated and understanding guidance.

1 comment:

- - - said...

An interesting paradox is her song "When you're gone"...

Watch the video, it made me cry...

Avril like so many other artists is a paradox...

You never know, the "Girlfriend" song could be what pays the bills and allows her to make song like "When you're gone" that do not have as wide an appeal.