Friday, November 2, 2007

All-Star Parents

I met the boy's parents: graceful and well-spoken mother and tall, articulate father. Their questions were valid and designed to find the truth behind their son's contention that I was too demanding.

The interview began with polite introductions. I had not expected the father to be there but he was, and filling the little blue office chair crammed against the counselor's bookshelf. Both Mother and Father looked clearly into my eyes, except when Father introduced himself, lowering his voice as he said his name and quickly averting his gaze. He seemed almost relieved when I simply stated my name and told them I was pleased to meet them.

We discussed their son. Their questions were clear and logical. Mother asked if, given my military background, I might be a little harsher than other teachers. I conceded that her's was a reasonable question and characterized myself as the third-hardest teacher out of the four primary freshman English teachers and explained my program and their son's progress. In these situations, I find it best to simply speak to the facts as I see them and not comment on my assumptions of a child's psychological condition or motivations.

After some discussion, Father told me he felt I was doing exactly what I needed to do and his son was simply failing to do the work. We discussed the athletic coaches' program for failing students (who can't play in games) which includes sitting on the sidelines and doing bookwork while the rest of the team practices. Father told me his son didn't deserve to wear the jersey or be with his teammates for any activity, including physical conditioning, if he was unable to meet his obligations in the classroom. He assured me, clearly and succinctly, that he would pull his son from sports if little man continued to slack in the classroom.

The man and his wife have class, and not because they agreed with me. They have class because they are thoughtful and rational advocates for their child and because they refused to play the fame card (and as I cruise articles, I'm finding out this guy, also a two-time Olympic gold medalist, has rock-star status up there with Michael Jordan among b-ball fans both hard-core and casual) .

Some days are really good days.

No comments: