Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Probie"

So here I am again, the beginning of the second semester and trying to do a better job this time. I'm still a "probie."

Yesterday, I received my second evaluation for this school year. I get one one more this year and, if it is satisfactory, I'll be taken off probationary status. The district doesn't call it "tenure," but being post-probationary means essentially the same thing. Starting next year, I will receive only one evaluation per year and will be pretty much left alone to guide or abandon my charges as I see fit. A moderate amount of laziness won't get me fired, lack of detailed subject matter knowledge won't get me fired, giving out unproductive busy-work won't get me fired, inability to keep my students engaged and learning won't get me fired.

It's scary how much luck is involved in whether or not your child gets a competent teacher.

Oh, and I now have a second piece published in Grumble.

2 comments:

Lyndie said...

It's about time teachers start exposing the inadequacies of our educational system. I teach at an urban high school, and you would not believe how we violate our students (your children) every day. We don't ask them to think. We ditto packets for them to complete. We are creating a nation of packet pupils who are dead drones.

Kurt Rice said...

It's easy enough for us to identify problems but far harder to develop and implement solutions. I know what makes a great learning environment but I also know the money and manpower are not available to put such an environment in place for every American student.

Nice alliteration, by the way.