Saturday, March 14, 2015

Zeppelin Drummer’s Son Keeps the Legacy Alive (Extended)


The abridged version of my interview with Jason Bonham was published in print and online in Vegas Seven on 3 March 2015. This is the full, polished transcript for those interested in his comments on other projects, Sting, Phil Collins and AC/DC.

* * *

Jason Bonham’s name will be forever connected to his father, Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who passed away in 1980 when Jason was just 14. And even though the younger Bonham is a drumaholic who has worked with a plentitude of well-known and lesser-known acts, his love and and admiration for his dad is still the driving force in his life. Now 49, and just a week after his grandmother’s passing, Bonham is making final preparations for his third tour with the Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience (JBLZE) project.

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Thanks, but it doesn’t get me off the hook of real life. Even when it’s expected, you never expect it when it happens. I got introduced to death very early in my life, you know, at 14 years old. Every time it happens after that you’re actually a little bit more prepared than you were before especially when it’s someone that’s gotten to a very, very old age, but when you’re a youngster you never expect it, you know what I mean? You don’t get to say your goodbyes; you spend your life thinking about how you could’ve done it all differently.

Would it be fair to say that much of the reason for JBLZE is to continue your communion with your father?

It’s one of the reasons why I do this show. Because I always say, I never really got a chance to tell him while he was alive how great I thought he was as a musician. You just take it for granted. He was just, Dad, you know? To me and my buddies at school he was just my dad.

And at 14, a lot of times there is a struggle between parent and child.

Yeah, but luckily for me, I think I was just starting to do it because the last thing we kind of did together was I got him to take me to see Police in concert. I had just gotten into the band and he got me backstage to meet them. Sting said to him, “Hey John, don’t step on my blue suede shoes” and he said to Sting, “I’ll step on your head in a minute.” I was like, “Dad, don’t embarrass me.”

Funny thing, later on my daughter was attending a college in Boston and she used to show the new students and parents around. Sting had come to the college with his son and they’d been told that there was another child at the school whose parents or grandparents were famous. Sting [asked my daughter], “Who's this other girl” and she would say, Oh, I don’t know. What’re you talking about?” and play it down. Later on we found out that he was persistent in asking and eventually the girl at the college said that “Oh, it was John Bonham’s granddaughter.” And apparently Sting started to laugh aloud. Of all the people it had to be, it was Bonham’s granddaughter.

I suppose it was synchronicity, if you’ll pardon the joke.

[laughs] Oh, I love the pun. That’s one of my favorite albums and my favorite tracks to warm up to is “Synchronicity.”

I am psyched to see your show on 7 March. What can we expect from your 3 nights in Vegas?

On the 6th [of March] we’ll be playing [Led Zeppelin] 1 and 2. but you know I always say I could never just do 1 and 2 and not play certain certain songs such as “Kashmir “and possibly “Levee Breaks. Then on the nights we play 3 and 4 I can experiment and play other songs that wouldn’t necessarily be played live. Somes things like “Hats Off to Roy Harper” we’ve never attempted so that’s going to be fun. My ultimate favorite album is Physical Graffiti so I am really looking forward to [Mar 8] which is really the only time on tour that we are doing Physical Graffiti. So the third night is kind of a one off. It’s the only time we will attempt the double album. (Unfortunately, James Dylan's sore throat forced them to cancel the last two shows. -kcr-)

How long has it taken you guys to get ready for JBLZE?

What started me thinking about doing the Led Zeppelin Experience was my realization that Led Zeppelin wasn’t going to get back together and I put it together as therapy as much as anything else. I mean it became its own entity. It personally grew for me with the fans: the reaction we got everywhere we played, the letters I would receive, the overwhelming response [and] passion. But that was four, no five years ago. I didn’t want to keep to doing the project just for the sake of it. It had to have energy. It had to have something that made us play like we did. Which it does; we love playing this music. So if we had the time, we’d love to do nine nights and do every album.

So you like being on the road?

I like it when you’re playing and doing something that you really, really enjoy. We are very privileged to be on a stage and to play for the time we do. That is the the best part of being on tour. But the rest of it, the travelling? When you get to be about 49 years old you start going, “you know I’ve been to this hotel a few times.” They don’t have the same spark. And being sober for 13 years means I remember them more now.

You have a huge number of projects under your belt and it appears more in the works.

Somebody commented that I must have commitment issues because I play with so many different musicians. And I said it’s not really that, it’s that I really enjoy playing and if somebody called me up tonight with a challenge to play other music, then it’s great . I’ve been privileged by the offers get from really huge musicians, the older musicians always seem to hire me which is great, because these are the people that were important in my formative years.

You admire Phil Collins and there are some rumors that you might work with Genesis or with his son Simon’s band Sound of Contact.

Oh yeah, there were a lot of rumors going around. I was just quite happy it wasn’t another Led Zeppelin rumor. I did spend two weeks last August with Phil Collins’ band rehearsing. He was just trying to see if he would do it again. I mean, I had the time of my life. It was great, but what comes of it I don’t know. I always joked, if I did the Genesis gig and the The Who I’d be a really, really happy camper. I mean for me they are the really big, huge premier bands I knew growing up. After my father passed away in 1980, that was the year Abacab came out, and that was a huge album for me because to begin to look at another drummer as an inspiration was a big step for me. And it was so nice for me to side by side with [Phil Collins] and play, it was a dream come true.

Early in February you tweeted “AC-DC are just so good. Timeless !!!” Would you consider taking Phil Rudd’s place behind the kit if they asked?

[When I tweeted that] I had just watched the Grammy’s and [AC/DC] were phenomenal. I think Chris Slade is a really good choice. He’s been in the band before and you have to have a hell of a lot of restraint to play in AC/DC. I am not sure I could have that much restraint. Some people might call it simple, but sometimes the simplest beats were to make a groove or a pocket and when you are doing some of that slower, riff based rock and roll like in Back in Black, it’s not as easy as you think to play that. But for sure, AC/DC is someone I would consider having restraint for, let’s put it that way.

Is California Breed over?

As I always say, I will never air dirty laundry and as much as people try to back you into a corner to say things, I always say it’s just a difference of opinion.

The last time you were in Vegas was in October for Sammy Hagar’s birthday. Are you are still committed to the Circle?

Sammy’s been sending odd songs here and there and you never know the way things are going with us. Sammy still enjoys it and we still enjoy each other’s company. I’m sure there will be a new project and new music.

It’s said the your father suffered from stage fright. Is that true?

Yeah, he did actually. At least when he wasn’t Bonzo. Bonzo was the part that would come out when he had a few drinks and was the more confident, bombastic, boisterous version of Dad. It was the other Gemini. Because at home, I only ever saw Dad. The lovable father who would get up a six in the morning and make sandwiches to go when we’d do motocross and go riding up the trail . I never really saw Bonzo at home. He would very rarely play drums at home and if he did, it was my small kit. But the drink never seemed to hinder his playing. I asked [Jimmy Page and Robert Plant] if it was ever a problem when my dad drank. They said, “No, we loved it when he felt that loose. That was when we would all take that leap.” But for me, one is too many. It doesn’t work for me and sadly in the end, it didn’t work for Dad, although it certainly did make for some of the greatest bootlegs.

Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience at Mandalay Bay House of Blues, 8:30 pm, Mar. 6, 7, & 8, $38 and up, (702) 632-7607, http://www.houseofblues.com/lasvegas/

No comments: