Monday, October 21, 2013

Artifacts #4: Just the Basics



Becoming a "pinger"
I received a fabric-lined, faux-leather portfolio on the same day I had my high school hair shaved and a brass padlock and key hung around my neck. I spent that afternoon in the 3723rd BMTS, Flt 623 barracks getting to know my squad as we furiously stamped our tighty-whiteys and "pickle suits" with identifying markings and cowered under the withering glare of buck Sergeant John D. Elovich.

With my ears toward the future
That portfolio carried my red-tape through basic, into tech school, and through two PCS moves before the addition of a family made the paperwork too thick to fit.

I found it a couple of weeks ago, crumpled up at the bottom of our master bedroom closet. Recruits get messenger bags these days. Fucking hipsters.

Wrinkled, but still usable
I wonder if BCGs are still as hipster as they used to be? Probably not, or they wouldn't be called BCGs anymore.

5 comments:

JD from the Snake pit said...

Withering glare? Really? Airman, it has been many years. Hope your doing well.

JD

John D. Elovich

(yes, the same one)

JD from the Snake pit said...

:)

Kurt C. Rice said...

No way, JD! What the hell is up with you? You told us you wanted to go green and fly attack choppers.

JD from the Snake pit said...

I did, and then some. Just moved to the valley 3 weeks ago.

Kurt C. Rice said...

Which valley?