Friday, October 18, 2013

"Suspiciouse Activity" Indeed

I sometimes get confused about how to adequately categorize "bad digital things." Malware, adware, spyware, spam and an associated host of esoterica related to various to jack with your hardware, software and wetware. Still, I can usually spot bullshit when I see it.

However, scammers are getting trickier. For instance, I uploaded utility software that included adware I have been unable to eliminate from my system even with a reasonably diligent web search on how to make it go away. The adware changes my browser homepage, even after I go in and force it back to Google, and pops a window or two open on occasion. Based on my searching around, it doesn't seem to have any other deleterious affects.

On the other hand, I still routinely run across incredibly lazy scammers. Their work makes wonder how they manage to hook anyone. I received what looks like a phishing scam in my email and it got me thinking: who proofreads this shit? Are they hiring? It would be a dead easy editing gig and if the haul was good, I might get a decent Christmas bonus.

These guys could use an editor
It also got me thinking about the state of education. One of the quickest ways to detect bullshit is by noticing grammatical errors or inconsistencies in the copy. Professional firms go to great lengths to eliminate errors in their communications to customers and potential customers because they know every homophone error or misspelled word reduces their credibility and can steer business to competitors who have bothered to use spell check.

So when you see something misspelled, especially in the subject line of an email purportedly from Wells Fargo, there is a 100% chance it is bullshit. Unless of course you don't know how to spell "suspicious"in the first place or notice that your demonstrative pronoun doesn't match its noun.

"Mr. Rice, this shit is hard. Why should I fucking care about grammar and spelling? My friends understand what I am saying."

Good point. Here, let me put you on my mailing list.

No comments: