Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Classroom Ephemera #3: Manga Thanks, Mr. Rice

Although much of my classroom ephemera is interesting in a Secret Life of the American Teenager way, quite a bit of it demonstrates the kind of relationship I built with my students. Teachers live for the positive feedback they get from their kids and I was no exception.

But the wads of unsolicited offerings: thank you notes and gifts and bits of one-off art,  I received over the years are more than just evidence that I had some positive educational impact, they are evidence of a culture of kindness it is often hard to discern in surly adolescents.

The influence of Japanese manga art is unmistakable in this piece, but I can't explicate the symbolism of a coy angel and knock-kneed schoolgirl thanking me "for the interesting learning experience."

I left the artist's name intact on this post, because I am sure she wouldn't mind.

I think the yellow sticky note came from someone other than the artist.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

But can we take consolation in the fact your hair hasn't been that long since...when?

This just raises even more complicated questions about the angel's identity.

Kurt C. Rice said...

Are you assuming the knock-kneed school girl is me?