Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hemispheres

On one side , my dad's '66 Mustang, $3,000 bought new from Smith Ford and an heirloom now but still flying its original paint and upholstery and a radiator that can't quite hang with Vegas summers. This is the car that flung me through my late adolescence, threatening to to kill me at every turn. I love that car. I love looking out across its broad prow, watching it rumble and torque when I slap down the pedal. I love dumping pints of gas through the carb just to hear that old engine growl. The guts and grind of it all.

On the other side, our 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid Advanced. Just saying the name gives you get an idea of how long it takes to get from 0-60. It's sleek and quiet and very polite. I love that car. It's like driving an iPad. I love easing down on the pedal and hearing. Nothing. Amps to torque to the grocery store for a trickle of kWh. I love the data, the charts and graphs and flowing arrows and arcing LCD mpgs. The Bluetooth and HUD of it all.

No comments: